Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cardionology

Born Into A Light
The first song seems to have a opening tribute or a throwback to David Bowie. I love the haunting echo of his voice at the end. Hues of his Alt Country vocals appear and disappear into beautiful streams of singing with backup vocals.

Go Easy
I heard a rendition of this when he played at Cains. It was just him on a bar stool and his journal open if front of him. One man, his acoustic guitar, his soul pouring out. So quiet and still. When he began to sing: "I love you still. And I always will. If only to say this to myself. I will always love you I will always love you so go easy on yourself." Rattled me inside. And I could literally feel the rawness of him opening up and exposing himself to everyone in there. It was dead silent in there. I got chills when he sang it. It was so beautiful, it was absolutely incredible. I wish the version of him by himself singing it was out there. It gives it whole new meanings and light. This version seems like a late night phone call to a lost lover.

Fix It
"But it feels like losing when someone you love throws you away."
This song although somewhat upbeat sounding makes me feel the same way when I hear Dear Chicago's heartbreaking line "I think the thing you said was true Im going to die alone and sad."
Magick
Very Rock n Roll feeling. I like what I believe to be Spacewolf and Neal's almost awkward backing vocals in the first minute. The zombie shout out is pretty awesome, I agree with you there. This feels like his older stuff to me. And Im not sure if it was the best transitional spot for it after Fix It. Fix it seems so soulful and full of longing for love or acceptance of yourself through someone else's love. Magick seems to be all fluff. But I love it.

Cobwebs
Gives me goosebumps. This album as a whole seems so much like a direct view into his deepest most inner thoughts. If you strip out the repeating chorus throughout all the songs it could read like a journal entry. I really like the way this one ends. The reverb of his voice is pristine.

Let Us Down Easy
It almost confuses me that he still seems to have country influences in his stuff and then he gets so angry when he is categorized as country. I wonder if its so ingrained into who he is as a singer/songwriter that he doesn't realize it.

Crossed Out Name
Oh my Lord. What a heart wrenching song. It really really strikes me at the core. Does he truly feel like this? Its so overwhelmingly sad despite the fast chord transitions and strumming. This album as I listen to it over and over (only 4 times so far, for this last listen through I put my headphones on so I could really hear it-work atmosphere doesn't lend itself so much to analyzing music) it seems like through his sobriety and coming to terms with who he is, is very sad. Lonely. He has so many people that rally around him and a huge fan base. How is there any hope for any of us if he feels so lonely being who he is?
Natural Ghost
I love his high pitched crooning. Gorgeous. He seems to feel so transparent and wanting validation. I love the slide guitar.

Sink Ships
Seems so disjointed. Not sure what to think about. But I love the reverb! The vocals are so strong on this album.

Evergreen
Very sweet serenade .... to himself? Very very lovely song. This seems like a song to himself. A song of inspiration and hope to keep trying.
Like Yesterday
Love the "Ooooos". A little torn on this one. The verdict is still out.

Stop
Reminds me of the haunting sound of Nite Birds when he sings "but we sink...into the ocean". A very somber ending to the album. But with redeeming shades for a new start running at the end.
"I know a past where the future is lost." I'm assuming that this is a glimpse into his addiction.
"I know a line that must be walked." Again I assume this is about sobriety.
"There is a darkness. and there is a light. And there is a choice for a balance for to be made every nite. A weakness must be found. If you want it to stop."

I think that this is a beautiful addition to his catalog. I really like it. But it feels so heavy with sadness. I am really impressed, but I am a huge fan. And I am usually left in awe of what he creates, this album is very raw...not in recording quality but in the fact that Ryan really laid it all out on the table. Like here is exactly how i feel deep inside.
Cardionology really streams like deep inner thoughts, fears and hopes.